Thursday, May 22, 2014

Hiking stuff...

On Friday May 16th, the family and I drove up to Damascus, Va. for their annual "Trail Days" weekend celebration. I'd been invited to deliver a presentation about my hike and my life since, so I obliged. The presentation didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped, but I don't reckon that you could call it a total failure either. (But I do personally consider it to be the worst one I've done to date.)

In preparing for Trail Days, Leisa and I planned on camping one night there in Damascus, then drive to Greyson Highlands the following day. The plan was to hike, let the boys see the wild ponies, camp, then hike some more. The weather, however, did not coincide with our itinerary. 



Friday night, it started raining as we were setting up our tent. Cold rain. Not just cold rain, but also cold weather! Greyson Highlands wasn't much better either. We did hike in and see the ponies, but retreated soon after. We drove home, which ended up being the right decision, as 2 of the boys got sick and tossed their cookies for more than half a day before feeling better.

I'd been telling the boys that I was going to take them hiking, and they really were looking forward to it. With that in mind, on Monday May 19th, we again loaded up the Jeep and drove half an hour over to Cumberland Gap National Park. There, we chose the

No comments: