Monday, January 12, 2015

Out with the old, in with the new

Happy New Year, y'all!

Son Tyler and daughter-in-law Taylor welcomed their firstborn on December 6, 2014. Roslynn Kensleigh Rogers was born at 3:33am, weighed 6.13, and was 19" long. It took me a while to get used to this new "grandpa" routine, but spending time with the new granddaughter has made me forget the trepidation surrounding "growing old".

I will be traveling either to Kentucky or Mississippi later this month to attend a 4-day class. I'm actively and doggedly pursuing employment as an insurance claims adjuster.

2015 is starting out looking like a very promising year for us, with July being the month with the hotbed of activity. We're planning on a 2-3 week excursion to northwest. First stop will be Cuba City, Wisconsin to visit old friends. From there, we'll drive across Montana and cross into South Dakota, stopping to visit Mount Rushmore. From Mount Rushmore, we'll head south to Shannon, SD, where we'll spend a week with members from our church working at the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Once we finish there, we'll drive east to Winchester, Va. in order for me to speak on July 21 at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's biennial celebration. (They're giving me a 90 minute block of time in order to share the story of my hike; my life before it, and my life since then.)

For the new visitors to my site, welcome. Some of you have heard of my 2004-05 Appalachian Trail hike. In the coming weeks/months, I will develop a sidebar so you can navigate and learn more about that aspect of me. I'm also planning on adding an "advice" section for those of you who're differently-abled, handi-capable, or whatever, and you want to hike. I frequently hear from others who're amputees soliciting advice regarding hiking, and I want to make it easy for you to find the advice you're so desperately seeking.

Parting quote: "Everyone dies - but everyone doesn't live." There's a life out there, and it's passing you by. Go out there, do something about it, and LIVE it!

-Scotty "One-Leg" Rogers

No comments: